Monday, September 22, 2008

Christmas comes early in Africa...


This afternoon felt a lot like we were opening presents as Hannah, Breanne, and I were over at the Shelton’s house looking through all the things that were sent to us from home with the mission team from Mississippi. Kind of funny, since we knew most of the things we were getting, but I guess that’s a lot how Christmas usually is, too. My parents sent me some Barbeque Pringles (they have them here, but the store down the street has been out for a couple weeks), grape jelly (yay!), fabric softener sheets (hard to find here; smells throughout the house...), peanut butter filled pretzels (that got mostly crushed in transit haha), CD-Rs & DVD-Rs (always come in handy), iPhone armband (gift to myself to use when running), and my favorite: cards from friends at church. I cannot tell you how much the messages in each of these cards mean to me. Even the simplest “praying for you” or “miss you” means so much more and brings more encouragement than anyone could ever know. Thank you all so much for encouraging me and praying for me.


Today was a good day. The team from Mississippi got here this weekend, so today was their first day of ministry. We went with them this morning to an area called Bootabika (no clue if that’s spelled right, but that’s how it sounds). We did door to door evangelism and encouraging, as the Kampala Urban Team is looking to start house churches in this area. We were witnessing to people, but also looking for persons of peace in the area to use a house or a courtyard for people to meet and fellowship in the future. Some of the groups saw many people come to Christ! My group met many who were already believers, but we spent most of our time with one woman, who did not choose to accept Christ today. I hope that you will pray for her, as we will, that God will convict her heart with the words she heard from us today, that she might have visions and dreams so that she will realize that she is in need of a Savior.


For lunch, we introduced our new friends to I<3NYK (I Love New York Kitchen) at the Garden City Mall. It was quite delicious, and they were grateful that we showed them that little gem. While we were eating lunch, the sky fell out and rained out the plan for the afternoon. I think the team ended up going shopping, but the 4 of us came back to the compound for much needed rest. It’s amazing how exhausting going out can be. After resting, Hannah, Breanne, and I went to the Shelton’s an picked up our “care packages” and Hannah stayed to watch the Shelton’s girls so that they could go out to eat with the mission team. Breanne and I came back to plan for tomorrow. We will be going to a school nearby during their lunch hour and doing a presentation of sorts. We pretty much have the hour or so to do what we want, so we decided to have a little church service. Breanne, Hannah, and I will lead four or five songs and then Steven will bring a message. That is what is on the agenda, but God could totally have something else in mind. We’ll see.


I am so excited about Wednesday. We found out yesterday that Hillsong is in town. If you look in my older posts, you’ll see that I posted the lyrics to a song sung by none other than Hillsong. I am stinkin stoked that they are here and we will [hopefully] be going to see them in concert Wednesday night. I told the Berry’s that I would have to see if I could take Darlene Zschech and the band to lunch (haha). I have no idea how big of an event it will be, but I am so excited for some Mzungu worship and songs… or better yet Australian worship and songs!

That is all I have for now. I’ll try to update again this weekend. Pictures are being uploaded constantly and randomly, so check often to see the ones I’ve added. Thanks again for your prayers and support! God is good!!

No comments: